Goochland County

Department of Fire-Rescue & Emergency Services

Goochland County

Department of Fire-Rescue & Emergency Services

Inside Goochland County Fire-Rescue

Goochland FAQs

Fire-Rescue FAQs

I am interested in becoming a volunteer member of the department. How can I get additional information?

Please visit our volunteer information page.

When should I dial 911?
911 is for emergencies only. You should dial 911 for any police, fire, or medical emergency, which is considered to be a threat to life or property. If you have a nonemergency, you may contact Goochland County dispatch at 804-556-5348.
What should I say to the dispatcher in the instance that I have an emergency and dial 911?
Immediately state the exact location and nature of the emergency. Remain as calm as possible, listen to the questions, speak clearly and listen to all instructions being given by the 911 dispatcher.
How do I prepare an escape plan for my house?
The 4 basic steps to prepare an escape plan for your home includes: draw a floor plan of your home; agree on a meeting place; practice your escape plan; and make your exit drill realistic. For a brochure on Exit Drills in the Home (EDITH), call the Fire Marshal at 804-556-5365.
I am disabled and in an emergency, I would not be able to get out of my house by myself. Is there anything I can do ahead of time to alert the fire department?
Please contact the 911 Dispatch Office on their nonemergency line at 804-556-5348 so this information can be noted in our computer system. If there is ever an emergency at your address, we would be alerted to the fact that there is a disabled resident at that address.
If I have an emergency and the fire-rescue department needs to respond to my house, what is the best way I can make sure they find me?
When speaking with 911 dispatchers give clear directions if your house is not clearly visible from the roadway and do not hang up until told to do so by the operator. Also, have your house number clearly visible on the front of your house with minimum 4″ numbers that are illuminated at night. If you have a roadside mailbox, have your numbers clearly visible on the mailbox as well as the house. If possible, have someone flag down the responding units as well.
Why do fire trucks respond to motor vehicle accidents and medical calls?
Automobile accidents present other hazards such as potential fire, ruptured fuel tanks, and/or the presence of hazardous materials. Many Goochland County Fire-Rescue members are trained as Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs) or Paramedics and can assist with patient care or in extricating (removing) trapped occupants of the vehicle. An engine company is automatically dispatched on those emergency medical service (EMS) incidents that are serious in nature and may require additional staffing.
When an emergency vehicle is approaching that is displaying emergency lights and sirens, what should I do?
Safely pull to the nearest shoulder/curb and stop until the emergency vehicle has passed. If there is no shoulder, pull into the nearest side street, parking lot, or driveway. Be aware that, at times, there may be more than 1 emergency vehicle that needs to pass.
I need assistance with my smoke detector. What can I do?
Anytime your alarm goes off, it is important to pay attention. If the alarm is sounding a loud alarm because it senses the presence of smoke, check your home thoroughly. If you smell smoke, evacuate the structure, and call 911. If you don’t smell smoke, the detector may be reacting to the presence of dust, steam, or a small insect. Dust and bugs can be removed by a vacuum cleaner. If there is any doubt, call 911 and the Fire-Rescue Department will respond. If the detector is just chirping, it probably means that the battery is low. Replace the battery immediately. Batteries should be changed every 6 months. A good time to change batteries is during “daylight savings time.” If you need assistance with your smoke alarm please contact Fire-Rescue Administration at 804-556-5304.
How often do I need to change the battery in my smoke detector?
We recommend that residents change the batteries in smoke detectors every six months. A good time to change the batteries is during the spring and fall when daylight savings begins and ends.
Do I need a carbon monoxide detector in my home?
Yes, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas. Carbon monoxide can be caused by an improperly operating gas stove, gas water heater, oil or gas furnace, fire place, or kerosene heater. If your carbon monoxide detector sounds, please exit your home and call 911 immediately.
Does Goochland County Fire-Rescue install child safety seats?
At this time, we do not have certified child safety seat technicians.
Does Goochland County provide public Fire and Life Safety Education?

Residents or groups interested in scheduling fire/emergency medical service (EMS) exhibits, Fire Safety House, or public education speakers should call the Office of the Fire Marshal at 804-556-5365 to make arrangements.

Requests for availability can also be made by contacting the fire-rescue station closest to the event location. Career and volunteer providers conduct programs at dozens of events throughout the year, as staffing permits.

Can I get my blood pressure taken at the fire house?
Yes, blood pressure screening is available at all stations. Station personal may not be in the station so it is best to call prior to going to the station. No appointment is needed.
I would like to burn off yard debris and some small dead trees. Do I need a permit?

A permit may or may not be required. Any fire larger than 8 feet by 8 feet requires a permit and a physical visit by the Fire Marshal. The fire must comply with the county open burning regulations and must be attended at all times. Individuals are responsible for any damage to property should the fire get out of control. The county burn regulations are posted on this site.

I hear people talk about the Virginia Burn Laws. What exactly are they?

The Commonwealth of Virginia does not allow outside burning from February 15 until April 30 between the hours of midnight and 4 p.m. During this time of year fire can rapidly spread and quickly get out of control. Any burning that is done after 4 p.m. must be completely extinguished by midnight and must be attended at all times.

Where can I obtain a copy of a fire report or a patient care report?

These reports can be obtained in person at Fire-Rescue Administration located at:

2938 River Road West
Building I
Goochland, VA 23063

Please be prepared to provide identification in the form of a government issued picture ID. Due to their sensitivity and HIPAA regulations, Patient Care Reports will only be issued to the patient or a third party that has legal documentation authorizing the release. It is advisable to call 804-556-5344 prior to coming for your report. This will give us adequate time to make copies and will minimize your wait. There is no charge for these reports.

My insurance company is asking for information about the fire department. Where can I obtain that information?

Information on the location of our fire-rescue stations and unit capabilities can be found on our station information page. To help determine the distance from the local fire-rescue station to your property, you can also utilize the “My Government Services” option on our website. Enter the address in the top right search box and the response order of the stations and distance from the location will appear at the bottom of the screen. Hydrant information can be found by utilizing the County’s GIS mapping system searching for the address, and choosing the hydrant map layer. For more information, please call 804-556-5304.

Your department responded to an incident at my home and I would like to make a donation. To what address should I send my donation?

Donations may be sent to:

Goochland County Volunteer
Fire-Rescue Association
PO Box 247
Goochland, VA 23063

Online donations can be made at the Goochland County Volunteer Fire-Rescue Association website donation portal.

Which fire station services my home/business?

We have a user friendly map on our website that shows each district and which station serves your area. If you are still unsure, please contact us directly! Click on the link below to see the Fire-EMS Districts.

Fire-EMS Districts

How far away is the fire station from my home/business?

To determine the distance to the closest fire station, you can use our GIS portal to assist you with determining the distance. You can also use MapQuest, Google Maps, Bing Maps, or other search sites. Click the link below to visit the GIS website.

Goochland County GIS Website


Where is the closest hydrant to my house/business?

To determine the distance to the closest wet or dry hydrant, you can use our GIS portal to assist you with determining the distance. Click the link below to visit the GIS website.

Goochland County GIS Website

What is the county ISO rating?

Please see our ISO document below which reviews the county ISO rating. Goochland County currently has a 04/4X rating. Please click the ISO document link below to review the PDF.

ISO Document

Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery FAQs

When did Goochland County implement EMS billing?
Goochland County began billing for EMS transports on January 1, 2013.
What is Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery?
Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery is a program that allows localities to charge for the cost of emergency medical transport services.
Why do we need Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery?
The costs to meet the needs of residents with quality fire-rescue services are constantly increasing. These increases are due to population growth as well as continuous improvements in technology which require equipment upgrades or replacement.
How is charging for emergency medical transport services allowed?
Virginia authorizes localities to charge reasonable fees for the use of emergency medical service vehicles.
How does Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery work?
Service fees are based on the level of care provided during transport. Advanced Life Support (ALS 1 and ALS 2) are life-saving measures provided by Paramedics. Basic Life Support measures are provided by EMTs or Paramedics. Charges are also generated on “loaded” mileage, which is calculated from the scene to the hospital. Loaded miles are those traveled during patient transport. If there is no transport, there will be no bill for service.
Will I be denied service if I can't prove I have insurance or money to pay the bill?
No person will ever be denied emergency medical service because of an inability to pay.
What if I cannot pay my bill?

If you have concerns about paying your bill, you can contact the Goochland County Fire-Rescue Administration for information.

What is the process for billing?
The County has a third-party biller which files the claim first with your insurance company. Any portion not paid by insurance will be billed to the patient. You will receive two invoices, and if you are unable to pay, the debt is written off. The County has a “compassionate” policy. No accounts are sent to collections and unpaid invoices do not affect your credit.
Why did I receive mail from out of state regarding my transport?

The third-party vendor used by Goochland County for emergency transport billing is not local. Requests for insurance information and invoices will come from the vendor, not Goochland County.

Why am I sending my payment to Baltimore?
Payments are handled directly by the bank using a secure lock-box account. No payments can be accepted at the Fire-Rescue Administration or Treasurer’s office.
How is my insurance information collected?
The hospital collects your insurance information which is then provided to the third-party biller.
Does Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery cause health insurance premiums to escalate?
Health insurance premiums will continue to rise regardless of localities billing for emergency medical transports; however, ambulance costs are less than one percent of health care expenditures and have minimal impact on insurance premiums. Less than one penny of every insurance dollar is spent on EMS transports.
How much money can counties realistically expect to collect through the Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery Program?
Collections vary by agency and region due to demographics, location, percentage of insured patients, number of calls run, type of billing level, and fee structures. Historically, Goochland has collected (on average) the equivalent of almost 2 cents out of the County Tax Rate.
How is my privacy protected?

All department members have been trained on patient privacy through the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and strictly adhere to those standards. In addition, everyone in the department must attend mandatory HIPAA training every year. See our HIPAA Privacy Rule Compliance Plan and Notice of Privacy Practices.

What if I am unable to sign for the receipt of the HIPAA privacy practices during/after my transport?
If a patient is unable to electronically sign for receipt of the department’s privacy practices, the patient care provider documents the reason for not being able to obtain a signature.
Does billing impact the donations and fund drives for volunteer Fire-Rescue agencies?
We would hope not. Research conducted by most agencies and billing companies have not found evidence to validate this claim. While Goochland County covers most of the operational funding of services, individual volunteer stations rely on donations for the upkeep of facilities and improvements. Goochland County Fire-Rescue has not seen a decrease in volunteer donations since implementing fees for service.
Does Ambulance Transport Cost Recovery provide all the support needed to fund Fire-Rescue?
No. Money collected from cost recovery offsets taxpayer funds but does not cover all operating and capital expenses of the department.
How does this program benefit the taxpayer?
Insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid cover emergency medical transports. Many transported patients are not residents of and do not pay taxes in Goochland County. Billing for service generates revenue from only the users of the services in lieu of raising taxes for all Goochland constituents. Most localities in Virginia are now billing for transport services in order to better fund their emergency fire and rescue response needs. The fees collected reduce the burden that would need to be collected through additional taxes.

Have Additional Questions?

Contact Us

Have a question that was not answered? We’d love to help you answer it. Use the form below, and a member of our organization will assist you.